Monday 15 December 2014

O_O Stages of Landscape


One night I felt like I wanted to work on the composition of my landscape as I didn't like the symmetry in the piece. I was getting happy with how this thumbnail was turning out. So I decided to show it to Ryan. He liked elements of my previous iteration of the thumbnail, How you was higher up looking down. With this thumbnail he felt it was too squashed.


At this stage I widened the shot and allowed more of the city to be seen to give the feeling you were looking down. For the the image I wanted the viewer to feel like take could take a deep breath. What I mean by this is that they could get immersed in the space and travel through the depth of the image.


I felt like I was working in terms of detail too much. So started massing out shapes yet retain elements that suggested the culture/environment.


Here I made the slanted marks to think about the balance in the image.


I've started to cutaway, thought about the perspective and add information.


Pasted in old segments of the painting to give more information.


I used the software called carapace made by epic games to figure out the 3-point perspective to get more accurate with the angles.


I like to played withe layer modes and came across the warm washed out look. This appealed to me as it set a time situation and I love the contrast it created.


Grabbed older segments of the painting, that had good shapes and pattern information. I also felt like I wanted more hue variation  to give the feeling that the city is bustling.


I did a pencil line drawing to finalize what everything would look like.


From the line drawing I refined the shapes.


Playing with the form of the plant on the right. adding information in the distance.

Started placing darker shapes to add form to the city.


Working on the sky


It was getting too confused by what was in the city so I did another line drawing. 


Adding contrast to the left to give more focal.


Refining what shapes, adding warmth, boosting saturation on plant.


Refine plant.


Added a road to segment the city to give more space


Added a focal area in the city, adding detail to foreground city space.

working with my drawing to refine structure.

Final.

No comments:

Post a Comment